Sunday, December 16, 2007

Sunday morning homily XII

I've reached that point in the season where, from the standpoint of attending Lightning games, a short break will be welcomed. More than anything else, it's been four-straight super-long Saturdays (really, they start at 8 a.m. Fridays and end about 1 a.m. Sundays) that have me feeling drained. I'm sure, too, that nine hounding trips in that time have something to do with it as well.

Lately, though, I'm getting tired of watching the Lightning lose. Or, to be even more specific, not even try, like they did last night in their lackluster effort against the Capitals.

In the interest of full disclosure, and this shouldn't be a shock to most Hound Central 3.0 readers, the Lightning are my "hometown" team, but not my favorite team. On several occasions, I'll root for other teams -- first and foremost, my true hometown team, the Buffalo Sabres. Our Bruins gear gets used twice a season, too, but that's only because of Colin's allegiance to the team.

I can't imagine what it's like to be a true Lightning fan these days. For a team to have such talented players as Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis, and, to some extent, Brad "Dime on a Dollar" Richards, it's hard to fathom how the Lightning couldn't muster more than 13 shots over the second and third periods.

But, wait, there's more.

So far this season, we've seen the Bolts blow three-goal leads, get blown out and, at best, play catch-up until getting gassed in the third. Even as a casual Lightning fan, it's far beyond frustrating. And, again, what I saw last night was the most uninspired hockey I've seen in years.

Earlier this month, Lightning GM Jay Feaster threatened to shake up the team if it didn't turn around its season. And while some believe that an impending sale (show me a real deal, please) will keep the team from making moves, the organization does that at its own peril. The Lightning must try to correct its offseason mistakes (Michel Wallet, Jan Hlavac and fragile Chris Gratton) and take nearly full advantage of its commodities -- only Vinny is untouchable.

If the Lightning doesn't make this effort, I'm sure diehard fans will question their commitment, in terms of dollars, to the team. Empty seats, I imagine, will fetch far fewer dollars.

There's no opera in hockey

Anyone who has attended a hockey game, from high school on up to the NHL, knows that the national anthem(s) is part of the pregame drill. It's a time to show, no matter how bad your pipes, a bit of patriotism.

Just this past Thursday, Colin and I were among the loudest singers of the Canadian and American national anthems (two of the first songs I taught him).

For the most part, though, I rarely extend my comments beyond that. I can't help myself, however, from commenting on last night's anthem singer at the Capitals-Lightning debacle. To me, she sang the song like a soloist in an opera. Though she had a wonderful, classically trained voice, it seemed so out of place.

While I can't pinpoint what would be the best approach to singing it (wholesomeness and not ear-splitting high notes leap to mind), the sport, despite the white shirts' best efforts, should never forget its blue-collar roots. Gimme someone with a decent voice and, most likely, an understanding of the game.

If I want to listen to opera, I'll watch PBS.

5 Big Sigs

With the Toronto Maple Leafs (as a dedicated hound, I won't let my disdain for the Loafs keep me away) and Carolina Hurricanes coming to town this week, perhaps we'll add these to the collection:

~ Toronto's Mats Sundin on the 1999 NHL All-Star Game helmet;
~ Toronto's Tomas Kaberle on a Czech Republic wallpaper picture;
~ Toronto's Matt Stajan, Alexander Steen and Kyle Wellwood on a Maple Leafs' Young Guns wallpaper collage;
~ Carolina's Cam Ward on a 2004-05 Choice Lowell Lock Monsters team set card; and
~ two full Carolina Hurricanes team sheets by Colin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I liked her rendition. (I like both Opera and PBS.) Honestly, I don't care for most anthem singers. To each his/her own.