Thursday, October 25, 2007

Pheeling like I Phailed

As I drove home from hounding the Philadelphia Flyers in Tampa this morning, I kept repeating my mantra: Some are better than none. Some are better than none. Some are better than none.

Still, though, it's hard to imagine adding 15 autographs to the collection, including nine pucks from seven new players (as far as The Vault is concerned), being anything but a disappointing day.

My reason for feeling like Eeyore today? I came home without fulfilling my primary objective as well as not scoring any autographs from the top of my Flyers wish list: Martin Biron, Daniel Briere and Simon Gagne. Thanks to an optional morning skate, granted even after the Flyers dropped a 4-3 decision to the Florida Panthers last night, the trio apparently decided to skip it.

That's not to say, though, that I came home empty-handed and wasted what turned out to be a pretty gorgeous morning down here in Florida.

Besides the pucks, I was able to get Antero Niittymaki to sign (yeah, that's his scribble there) this mini goalie mask, have Jeff Carter finish off the blade of the Young Guns stick and got a grand total of four cards signed, including three from Lasse Kukonen.

Part of the problem, I suppose, was that I came in with high expectations. The team stayed at a fairly easy hotel to hound (Sorry, that's a trade secret), the players had been pretty approachable in the past and I was carrying my heaviest bag, so far, of the season.

For the most part, all I saw was a bunch of mostly grumpy (save for announcer Keith Jones and Kimmo Timonen, who seemed fairly pleasant) single-item-signing players. Maybe I've been spoiled by the other teams (Atlanta, Florida and New Jersey) that have played Tampa Bay this year, but I'm hoping that the Flyers' next visit, on Dec. 29, proves more fruitful.

Pucks, show above, are:
Top row, from left: Braydon Coburn, Philadelphia Flyers; Scott Hartnell, Nashville Predators; and Paul Holmgren, Flyers.
Bottom row, from left: Joffrey Lupul, Medicine Hat Tigers; Kimmo Timonen, Flyers; and Scottie Upshall, Flyers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it wasn't the best day for auto's, but still it was good to see most of our auto bud's, I learned simon gagne has a concussion suffered last nite is probably why we didnt see him. Was the biggest crowd yet- which made us old timer's stay back from the evergrowing crowd across the street. Actually is where I prefer to be, and just sit back and watch the dealer's run-run-run.....