Thursday, October 11, 2007

What do you think?

Maybe I made a cardinal sin of hounding. Then again, maybe I respected someone's wishes. Whatever the case, though, I missed out on getting an autograph (or two) from Hall of Famer Denis Potvin yesterday.

As the Florida Panthers and media made their way over to the St. Pete Times Forum yesterday for a morning skate, Potvin, who serves as a TV analyst, was among the last to make the trek. And, of course, the four of us waiting wanted him to sign.

As we approached Potvin, he asked that we all wait until after the morning skate for him to sign. Though I wasn't thrilled at the prospect of waiting, I could understand his request. Apparently, I was alone in my thinking.

The three other hounds kept pestering Potvin until he relented. One said he was on his lunch break and wouldn't be around later. The other two, well, they seemed to be tagging along.

Though I've heard that "Catch me later" line before, I seldom see the need to keep pestering someone. Sure, any hound worth his or her salt will go to extreme lengths to get an autograph from a Hall of Famer. But, with the Panthers coming back to town three more times, I felt that it was better to respect the man's wishes, rather than be more of a nuisance.

I'd be interested in hearing from other hounds and/or collectors. Did I do the right thing? Or did I drop the puck? Let me know, okay?

Editor's note: This is the 100th post of the season.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you did the right thing. Would you have gotten an auto if you had tagged along.....sure. You, however, get to take pride in knowing that your "respecting another person's request" is solid.

There will be other days and other opportunities (I'm sure) to get his auto. He probably won't remember the fact you respected his request (if he remembers the situation at all), but to me it seperates the two groups of "hounders"... those that do it as a hobby and for the enjoyment of the hunt and meeting the players, and those who can't wait to get their stuff on ebay.

Kudos to you! And a great dose of core ethics to hand down to your son.

Just my opinion.
Brett

Anonymous said...

You were a good boy respecting dennis wish's- you should have come back when he returned, he did a nice 8x10 for me and I mentioned to him your knowledge of his parnter in crime on the photo was none other than Butch Goring...hehehe, now we're even.

Puckhound said...

Geez, guys, thanks for the support.

I'm sure a bit of my own laziness, and not wanting to leave our shaded spot that morning, also played a role.

stil, though, it's hard to pass on a Hall of Famer. But I know I did it for the right reasons.

Thanks.