Sunday, October 7, 2007

Sunday morning homily II

I don't know what it is, but there's something about a hockey season that puts me in a good mood. Most likely, the ability to add to the collection plays a big role in it. Attending games, such as Tampa Bay's 5-2 victory over Atlanta last night, contributes to the fun factor as well.

Moreso, though, it's re-establishing connections with fellow fans and making new friends that brings the most enjoyment.

After a long sweltering summer, mostly spent in air-conditioned comfort, it simply feels great to get outside, interact with hockey players and enjoy the sport of hockey.

Yes, I know that a pretty simplistic take on life. I'll tell you, what, though. It works. We laugh and joke with NHL players. I learn the reason why Tampa Bay's Chris Gratton is called "Hermie" among a circle of friends. And, for kicks, I get to yell at inconsistent referees (Yeah, Brad Watson, I'm talking about you).

Hockey is back on the ice. Order has been restored to my life.

Something tells me, though, that I'm not alone.

Having said that

Today's homily might seem more abbreviated than others. There's a model train show at Colin's favorite train store this weekend. So, I'm going to keep a promise and make sure he gets to take in the sights and sounds. It'll also give Santa an idea or two for presents.

5 big sigs

With only the Florida Panthers coming to town this week, I will likely sneak in another trip for the Lightning. As a result, I'm hoping to add these items to the collection:

1.) Florida's Tomas Vokoun on Florida Panthers and Nashville Predators pucks.
2.) Florida's Jay Bouwmeester and Nathan Horton on a Young Guns stick
3.) Florida's Craig Anderson as the first to sign a American-born goalies stick
4.) Tampa Bay's Johan Holmqvist on a goalie mask that Colin decorated before Saturday's game.
5.) Tampa Bay's Brad Richards to sign the two pucks that I mistakenly passed on a couple weeks ago.

No comments: