Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Mixing it up with Marty

It never fails to amaze me that whenever I find it within myself to praise a player for their signing habits, something happens that casts that perception in a somewhat different light. This case in point: Tampa Bay's Marty St. Louis.

Here's our exchange, which took place Monday following the Lightning's morning skate:

Marty: Whatcha got there? A store? (I will admit that I had quite the arrangement -- Team Canada goalie mask, a Lightning mini team helmet, a Lightning mini goalie mask, a dozen pucks and a book of cards.)

Me: Sorry, Marty, but nothing's for sale.

Marty (while signing the Lightning mini team helmet, shown above): Is that so?

Me: Yeah, Marty, it is. In fact, why don't you stop over to the house the next time you're in St. Pete. You can help me count out the 1,300 pucks, if you'd like. Maybe we'll look for the eight you've signed.

Marty: Jesus, 1,300 pucks?

Me: Yeah, 1,300 pucks.

Though I understand that some hockey players believe that every middle-age man seeking autographs is a dealer, I don't back down when accused of being one. Rather than being snotty, though, I try to "educate" these players that their broad-based perception is incorrect.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! I think these guys are so wrapped up in the business end of it, they forget what it is like to be a fan....hey, he is a grown man playing a game, why can't you continue to enjoy something that takes you back to your childhood....i hope he truly believed you! Maybe you should do cards with your Hockey Central on it.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you and jls on this. With all the $$$ Marty St. Louis and others make, why should they even care if people sell the stuff on ebay or not? I think Marty's a great player and I admire him for how hard he worked to get into the NHL, but I don't like his personality and huge ego at all.

Puckhound said...

Thanks for the comments. I've been called far worse things than a dealer by much better people than St. Louis.

I, too, admire his work ethic and enjoy the rewards of his efforts.

Will this episode keep me from asking him for more? Nope. I'll be curious as how he reacts to me.

As for the business cards, that's a great idea. I've been thinking about that myself.

Drew said...

There are a couple companies out there that do business cards for free (you just have to pay shipping). VistaPrint is the big one I know of.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, do it and make sure you have a link to your blog on it...time for the real fans to strike back once in a while.

Puckhound said...

I don't really want to be confrontational with players, but rather just stand up for the collectors out there.

I'm going to check into these cards, especially the "free" ones.

Maybe some of the players would visit the site. Now that would be cool.

Anonymous said...

Would the guy who handed michel ouellet 5 puck's at once to be signed,last saturday after morning skate, please be realistic- You spoiled it for the rest of us as he drove off. Thank's alot guy.

Anonymous said...

Colin is an adorable kid.

I'm looking into the business cards too; thanx for the tip.

The way MSL has been playing so far this season (no goals in 3 games), he may not even be asked to sign anything anymore. Too bad his talent isn't as big as his ego.

Anonymous said...

I've heard some pretty negative stuff about MSL. Too bad.

Puckhound said...

It doesn't surprise me. I'm sure he gets tired of being hounded, at home and on the road.

Still, though, it's sounds like he's developing a bit of a reputation out there.

I haven't been out to hound the Lightning in some time. I have a few I'd like to get, but nothing that I must have.

My next trip for the Bolts comes Dec. 13, when Calgary comes to town and I'll be over there all day

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the Bolts game tomorrow night - looking forward to your recap. Time to trade MSL. I won't miss him.(not Vinny, who is a superstar and Brad, who has been playing great lately)