Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I demand a recount

With apologies to my friends in New England, I find it hard to believe that the Bruins have produced one of the two best logo changes, as determined by Hound Central 3.0 readers, so far this season.

But, that's what happened in the past Hound Central 3.0 poll, which asked which NHL team made the best change in logos.

The results:

Boston Bruins: 3 votes out of 9 cast (33 percent)
Ottawa Senators: 3 out of 9 (33 percent)
Columbus Blue Jackets: 2 out of 9 (22 percent)
San Jose Sharks: 1 out of 9 (11 percent)
Tampa Bay Lightning: 0 out of 9

My vote, based solely on the logo alone, went to Ottawa, with San Jose coming in a close second. I'm not surprised, either, that the Lightning's updated look gathered no votes.

But the Bruins? I don't think so. Restoring serifs to the spoked B? Even with its nod to history, it's hardly an update.

If you're going to mess with an Original Six logo, as the Bruins have done over the years, it needs to be a marked improvement. I believe the Bruins' new shoulder patches, one of which (the home version) is shown above, would have made a better primary logo.

No comments: