Friday, November 16, 2007

I'm the one to blame

I'm going to have to do a little research on the science of cloning, because after all the fumbling around I did this morning, I certainly could use some help when it comes to hounding the Washington Capitals.

Perhaps it was the unseasonal brisk weather, or that the Caps stayed at one of the more difficult hotels to hound in Tampa. Then again, maybe it had to do with twice moving my items.

Either way, though, I posted my poorest performance, in terms on numbers (eight items: seven pucks and this Milan Jurcina card) and quality (Brian Sutherby being the biggest name, perhaps), of the 2007-08 hounding season this morning. And, really, I'm the only one to blame.

Given the team's uberstar, Alex Ovechkin, its solid goalie, Olaf Kolzig, and a rookie who's drawing some buzz, Nicklas Backstrom, I certainly wasn't surprised to see the dregs of the dealers shivering in the shadows of downtown Tampa's skyscrapers.

That, I'm afraid, wasn't the problem.

What doomed my effort, I believe, was breaking away from my usual routine at this hotel. Rather than setting up on a corner, like I usually do so I can watch both doors of the hotel, I set up closer to where the team bus was parked.

It didn't take long, however, for me to realize I was a little too far away from the bus, so I moved everything (32 pucks, mostly new Capitals logos, plus a book of cards) about 10 feet closer.

About that time, though, players started coming out the other door. Not wanting to miss out, I quickly packed up and moved -- again -- to my normal spot and, finally, started adding to the collection.

Unfortunately, I missed out on Kolzig as I was rearranging my items. And by the time I got over to where Ovechkin was throwing down scribbled "AO8s" for mostly dealers, hotel security was ushering me away. Backstrom, apparently wise beyond his tender age (he's one week shy of his 20th birthday), darted out as Ovechkin was signing.

Bottom line, and this point was reinforced this morning, is that you follow your instincts and go with what you know. Anything else, I've come to realize, is a giant waste of time and energy.

Between now and Dec. 15, when the Capitals come back to Tampa, I'm going to work on cloning myself. Maybe we'll have better luck.

Pucks, shown above, from left: Brent Johnson, Brooks Laich and Brian Sutherby.

No comments: