Monday, November 19, 2007

Review: 2007-08 UD Hockey Series I

In past hockey card reviews, I've taken the time to go into great detail to describe a release. In the case of Upper Deck's 2007-08 Hockey Series I, all it takes is one word: junk.

Aside from what I believe to be a lack of value within the boxes I bought, Upper Deck continues its frustrating habit of not updating players who have moved on to new teams. Though one of the lures of this release -- the hobby standard of rookie cards, Young Guns -- shows the players from early season games, several cards show free-agent signings in their old uniforms.

Dustin Penner, shown in his Anaheim duds, signed with Edmonton on Aug. 2. The cards came out in early November. C'mon, now. You're telling me that Upper Deck can't update these looks. If not, how come the Young Guns cards show players from this season?

I know this is redundant, but as someone who has worked, in some form, in the publishing industry since 1980, I know that technological advances allow for images to go from camera to printing plates in under an hour. Why Upper Deck is selective in its efforts is hard to understand.

To me, it's yet another instance of Upper Deck showing more concern for cash than in satisfying its customers. One would think, too, that this line of thinking will eventually come back to haunt them. If you keep disappointing customers, don't you risk turning them away?

It's like I told the owner of the hobby store where I buy my cards. As much as I rely upon cards to continue my hockey-hounding hobby, I have too many other choices -- from pucks to pictures to memorabilia to even homemade team sheets -- to keep wasting my money on Upper Deck products.

Something tells me, too, that I'm not alone.

Product snapshot: Upper Deck Hockey Series I
Something nice: Young Guns cards of Phoenix's Peter Mueller and Montreal's Carey Price (shown above) and a game-used jersey card of Carolina's Eric Staal, which I had him sign. Nice photography, too.
Something not so nice: This product, despite the Young Guns, isn't worth the money.
Puckhound's grade: 0 out of 5 pucks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Being a player collector, I don't really notice the "updating" of a player and his team so much as I do the overall design of the card. This set by Upper Deck ranks among the worst I've seen in a great number of years.

With the power of technology has come some absolutely amazing card designs. Add to that some spectacular photography (which up 'till now has been a strong point with the UD products) and you can get some pretty sweet cards.

The design of this year's UD seems very much thrown together and with no emphasis (or consideration for that matter) on design and appeal.

A real downer for me.

Yet another argument to get some competition in the mix for hockey cards.

Just my thoughts.
Brett