Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sunday morning homily XXX

Now that I've dried off and got the water out of one of my ears following a mid-morning battle with super soakers (my Father's Day present) with Colin (that's him, on the right, with me at a Bolts game), it'll be much easier to share with you why, from my point of view, that Father's Day is, indeed, the best holiday of the year:

~ Fathers get to revel in the joy that they have helped to create. From skating backwards to fishing to sharing a recliner, spending time with your children is the best thing a father can do. Granted, most fathers I know, myself included, want to spend more time with their children and families. At least, though, we all have today.

~ Fathers get to pass along their experience, their love and their beliefs. From working hard at everything you do to remembering to look both ways when entering an intersection after the traffic light has turned green, it's our job, as a child's most important role model, to pass along the wisdom we've gained over the years.

~ If you're lucky (like I am), you'll get one of your better meals of the year today. For me, it'll be grilled steak, marinating for the past three days; twice-baked potatoes, including real bits of bacon and sour cream; and one of my favorite foods -- canned carrots. A slice of cake (or two or three) will top it off.

And though it was nice to open cards and unwrap presents on this day, the best gift I'll ever get is the one I receive every day from Colin -- a hug, a kiss and my favorite words: "I love you, Daddy."

To me, it just doesn't get any better than that.

Stoked, and stocked, for Stamkos

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but I can't wait for this Friday, when the 2008 NHL Entry Draft kicks off in Kanata, Ontario. If perception becomes reality, that is when the Tampa Bay Lightning, picking first overall, will draft Sarnia's Steven Stamkos, a talented center who many believe is NHL-ready.

Really, it's not that I'm the biggest Lightning fan down here in Humidity Bay. Sure, they're my most recent "hometown team," and I'll root for them to do well every season, but they reside a couple notches down the list.

No, what I'm waiting for is Stamkos' first public visit to Tampa. I'm certain the Lightning, given their "Seen Stamkos" campaign, will be more than happy to show off their latest star. Work schedule permitting, I plan on attending as many introductory events as I can.

Why? Another no-brainer. I have quite a few items -- three pucks, a couple of magazines, a few cards and a Team Canada jersey waiting to be signed. And that, my friends, is just the beginning.

Thanks, again and again and again

As I bring the final Sunday morning homily of the season to a close, I want to thank everyone who has taken time to stop by Hound Central 3.0. I know this blog is an acquired taste, focusing much more on autographs than hockey in general.

And while the summer always represents a slowdown in the hockey autograph cycle, I'm hoping that there's enough news -- within hockey and my hounding activities -- to offer, at the least, a weekly posting until training camps open in September.

As always, folks, I appreciate your support.

No comments: