Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Caught by surprise

First of all, I must admit that my motivation level for the Edmonton Oilers was only a fraction of what it was for the Colorado Avalanche. I made only one hounding trip, rather than three. We didn't have tickets. And I, worn down by a nagging cold, simply wasn't that motivated.

That's why it amazes me that I quickly and quietly added another 33 autographs to the collection Tuesday as the team made its way to the morning skate. And despite the fact that I never saw the Oilers coaching staff (apparently, they rode the team bus), I won't even dare utter a complaint about the players' efforts.

Among the highlights:

~ Ales Hemsky signing an Oilers puck and wallpaper;
~ Snagging a trio of pucks from Mathieu Garon;
~ Dustin Penner, a former UMaine Black Bear, on an Oilers puck;
~ Fernando Pisani and Jarret Stoll adding to Colin's collection; and
~ Sheldon Souray, basking in Florida's glow, signing two pucks.

I marvel, too, at the diversity of the day's efforts: 16 pucks, taking the collection to 1,499; four wallpaper images; eight cards; four cheap skates cards; and a game-used Denis Grebeshkov stick.

I'm thinking that had I stayed until after the Oilers morning skate, the numbers would have been significantly higher, even approaching the magical 50. Who knows, maybe someone from the Oilers coaching staff would've signed puck No. 1,500.

Oh well, I'm happy with what I got.

Pucks, shown above, from left:
Top row: Shawn Horcoff, Ethan Moreau and Fernando Pisani;
Bottom row: Joni Pitkanen, Ladislav Smid and Jarret Stoll.

Cards, shown below, from left:
Matt Greene, Steve Staios and Patrick Thoresen.

No comments: