Friday, December 14, 2007

Tough guys

Not that I'm complaining (too much) or anything, but Calgary's Owen Nolan, Dion Phaneuf and Robyn Regehr could brush up on their social skills. Though each player signed Thursday morning, limiting their efforts to one-per (which is fine by me), they were, at best, abrupt with those requesting autographs.

To wit:

Nolan: He wasn't very chatty and when he did speak, it was nearly in a whisper. For most collectors, getting an autograph represents a moment and a memory. For a guy on the downside of his career, one would think that he'd want to leave fans with a better impression. I'm not saying that we should've debated the effects of greenhouse gases, but some simple conversation, even if it's about the weather, shouldn't be too much to ask.

Phaneuf: Sure, he had five assists in Calgary's 9-6 drubbing of the Bolts, but this guy was downright rude to some people. To one collector, he asked "What's my name?" If he had asked me that question, I probably would've responded "It's Jerk with a capital J." (Actually, I would've used another word, describing an orifice of the human body, but children, or lawyers out in California, might be reading this.)

Regehr: His signing-while-walking routine reminded some of Anaheim's Todd Bertuzzi, but what troubled me was when he shot down Colin's request Thursday afternoon for his team sheet. "Sorry, buddy, but I signed this morning." Real classy, Robyn. Real classy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jerk with a capital J.....I would have paid big money to see that. Ha ha ha.

Regehr.....what gives? Very surprised by that one.

Brett