Monday, October 15, 2007

Now that was sweet

I hope the pugnacious Toronto Maple Leafs fans who polluted the HSBC Arena in Buffalo tonight enjoy the ride back up the QEW. They'll certainly have plenty to think about.

To watch their chronic underachievers lose with only 3.7 seconds remaining in overtime, especially after taking a 2-0 lead into the third period, has got to sting. Probably not as bad as giving up seven unanswered goals to Carolina last week, but still, pretty woeful.

Now, I'm not going to say that one victory, this early in the season, will prove to be a turning point for my Sabres. But when Ales Kotalik (really, it was the Loafs' Bryan McCabe) gave Buffalo a 5-4 victory, on a night when Buffalo's Ryan Miller was a spectator, it had to raise the team's confidence level.

By the way, the third was a pretty darn exciting period of hockey, wasn't it? I didn't know that the edge of my overstuffed recliner was that comfortable.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that these young Sabres are just starting to believe that they too just might be something special and if Briere and especially Drury taught them anything, it is to never quit and keep on coming. I think what has been most impressive is the fact that the fourth line has been contributing as evidenced by Adam Mair two goals and five points by that line as a whole....i think alot of people might have counted them out but as the season goes on I think they could be a force to reckon with...and that has been without Miller having played some of his best hockey yet.

Puckhound said...

We'll be getting a look at the Sabres next Saturday in Tampa. I can't wait. I'll see Briere a couple of days before, when the Flyers come to town.