Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A thank-you note

Most times, when I make the trek over to Tampa, my sole goal is to add to the collection. Tomorrow, though, will be different.

Sure, I'll have two dozen pucks, a mini goalie mask, a stick and cards for the Philadelphia Flyers. Still, the one thing I want to come home with won't involve ink on anything.

What I hope to do before the Flyers' morning skate is to thank Danny Briere for what he brought to the Sabres during his time in Buffalo. While Chris Drury may have provided some grit and leadership, Briere brought hope and inspiration to a team and a city that needs it.

For the longest time, very few hockey minds believed Briere would amount to nothing more than a third- or fourth liner. He was too small. He didn't have the complete skills. He lacked the proper motivation.

What a bunch of hooey.

Given the Sabres' success last season (and the start they're slogging through now) as well as the Flyers' start this season (which, by the way, does not surprise me), I believe that Briere has proven those critics wrong.

No comments: