Friday, March 14, 2008

Go with what you know

There's something to be said for routines. And after an abbreviated hounding session Tuesday, I'll try to stick to mine from now on.

Usually, I try to catch NHL teams before morning skates. The crowds are thinner. Players tend to be a little less-focused than at game time. Most of all, though, the time fits into my schedule.

I had to deviate from the norm, however, when a colleague asked for a ride to work. With his car at the shop and my owing him a favor or two, I couldn't say no. Rather than hound the Islanders before the morning skate, I went after the session.

Let's just say that I really have no reason to complain. Though I picked up only eight autographs, including a pair of pucks (above) from Islanders captain Bill Guerin, it wasn't my best effort.

Unfortunately, in my haste to rustle up a few Lightning items for recently acquired players (who are staying at the same hotel as the Islanders), I left my Islanders card book sitting on the breakfast bar at home. I didn't discover my error until I was in Tampa.

I could only say hello as I watched Islander and Islander walk past. If I had it, I'd like to think I would've added another dozen cards to the collection. All I can do, though, is chalk it up to experience -- routines are made to stay intact.

No comments: