Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday morning homily VIII

Every NHL hounding season, I reach a point of frustration with a handful of collectors who, when defining laziness, are the bottom of the barrel. In past seasons, it usually took place in December or January. As I grow older, though, my patience is wearing thin much faster than normal.

For most hounds, we know that preparation, especially when it comes to identifying players, is a key to success. We take the time to visit Web sites or watch games, so we can recognize players. However, there are some, from dealers to so-called collectors, who won't make the effort.

Oh, sure, they know the big names, but once you get past them, these schlubs are as clueless as New York's Sean Avery at a leukemia fundraiser (Note to Mr. Avery's attorneys - The previous sentence is unactionable, as it is clearly written, and now identified, as satire).

First, if this is their business, don't you think they should know who they're hounding? If they don't, they should follow the lead of their peers and take the smart way out, getting such team-signed items as jerseys, sticks or arena pictures.

As for collectors, it depends on the situation. Most here in Tampa are dedicated to the hobby. They do more than show up. They do their homework and, more importantly, they don't sponge off the efforts of others without reciprocating the gesture. For the most part, they're a pretty fun bunch to hang out with.

I'll admit, too, to sometimes being a little rough (that, some might say, is an understatement) to deal with. I try to be nice to most everyone, save for those who ask for so many player identities that they earn themselves the "Who's that?" nickname or, even better, every request gets the "Wayne Gretzky" answer.

The reason for my madness? If I can find time to do my homework so I can identify 95 percent of a team, in between working fulltime and being a husband and father, I expect others to do the same, even moreso for those who have much more free time. That's why I'm reluctant to share my knowledge. Is it childish? Perhaps. Do I care if it is? Not one bit.

I'm curious, though, as to what others think about this? Having encountered these types in North Carolina, New England and, now, Tampa, I'm certain this happens in most every hockey locale. Feel free to share your stories.

Score an assist

Okay, hard-working and homework-loving hockey hounds, I need your help. I received an e-mail yesterday from a mom.

The mom was inquiring about this information as the family, including her 11-year-old daughter, will soon travel to the Windy City and would like to put themselves in a position, namely sitting in the lobby as guests of the hotel, to score a few autographs.

Because I'm in Florida, I don't have a clue. And, after spending a few days in Chicago, I know there are too many hotels there to call every single one. But that's where you come in.

And, unlike the schlubs depicted above, this is a worthwhile request -- it's for a child.

If anyone has this information, and doesn't mind sharing, please send me an e-mail, found on my profile page, and I'll pass it along to the mom. In return, I'll pass along my knowledge of who stays where in Tampa. To get a little, you give a little.

Addendum (6:45 p.m. Nov. 18): Thanks to Hound Central 3.0 reader Mark, the mission has been accomplished.

5 Big Sigs

Even though it's a holiday week, that won't keep us from trying to add these big names to the collection:

~ New York's Jaromir Jagr, Brendan Shanahan and, should they accompany the team, Jim Schoenfeld and Martin Straka, on the 1999 NHL All Star Game helmet;
~ New York's Chris Drury and Scott Gomez on Rangers pucks;
~ New York's Henrik Lundqvist on a McFarlane Sports Picks base;
~ New Jersey's Martin Brodeur on a replica Devils #30 jersey, and New Jersey assistant coaches Jacques Laperriere and Larry Robinson on a Montreal Canadiens jersey; and
~ a team-signed New Jersey Devils outfitted teddy bear.

I must say, though, that this represents the most ambitious wish list of the season to date.

No comments: