Sunday, May 11, 2008

Sunday morning homily XXIX

Eleven years from now, when a father's dreams come true, the first person Colin should thank after being taken in the first round of the 2019 NHL Entry Draft better be his Mama.

Should this dream come true, it will be because of, more than anyone else, her. She's the one who gets him to skating lessons. She's the one who sits through public skates. She's the one who tightens the laces of his skates. She's his hockey mom.

I must admit, too, to being a bit jealous. My work schedule has meant that I've missed most of the skating lessons. She's missed just one week since December. Only when I've used a vacation or personal day have I been able to pitch in. Still, though, in this economy, I won't complain. Too much, that is.

Colin's skating instructor tells us he's ready to move ahead to Hockey 101 lessons. There, in the weeks ahead, he'll learn more skating related specifically to the game -- backwards, crossovers and quick cuts, while working, of course, on his developing one-timer from the right faceoff circle.

And while I can teach him the nuances of the game -- snapshots over slapshots, clearing a crease and delivering devastating hip checks -- it's going to be his Mama who will nurture his growth. That's what Mamas do best.

Hockeytown? I don't think so

For a city that professes itself as Hockeytown, I'll add my considerable weight to the growing question of just what the heck is up with the hometown fans. Empty seats at a Western Conference championship game in Joe Louis Arena? That's sacrilegious.

As much as I hate to admit it, I don't see a team that can beat the Red Wings. I'm already rethinking my Stars-in-seven pick. Pittsburgh, while hugely talented, would only earn a lesson from Detroit. Sorry, but it'll be Titletown, once again, along the banks of the Detroit River.

So, for Detroit fans to not sell out the Joe during the Red Wings' run can mean only one of two things:

~ The economy is so bad in Detroit (and, by all accounts, the city's hemorrhaging auto industry is pretty darn ugly) that no one has any disposable income left; or
~ Red Wings fans have become complacent, even though it's been six years since Detroit last won the Cup.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I choose B.

Happy Mother's Day.

Brett