Friday, September 14, 2007

Training camp 2007

Given what's being called Camp Torturella, I was surprised that quite a few Lightning players stopped to sign for a sizable crowd Thursday. Though some looked whupped and winded, most players, including Vincent Lecavalier and Dan Boyle, stopped to sign.

It seems that Bolts coach John Tortorella is known for having one of the toughest training camps in the league. And while opening day at the Lightning's training camp was more about physical testing, Torts put the team through fitness testing, namely six three-lap timed speed drills.

Today, from what I hear, isn't any easier. Instead of six three-lappers, players will skate three 15-lap drills. That's right. Three gut-wrenching, and likely emptying, 15-lap drills.

Because of that, I'm staying home today. Despite my self-proclaimed tough-guy status, I gag at the sight/sound/smell of a furball.

Even moreso, though, is that I had a pretty decent day, adding another 20 autographs to the collection. Boyle and Lightning GM Jay Feaster signed the Lightning mini helmet. Marc Denis, Jan Hlavac, Vinny Prospal, Lecavalier, Shane O'Brien and Kyle Wanvig signed at least a card.

I'm sure that others stopped, too. I stayed as long as I could, heading straight to work from camp.

Pucks, shown above, are: Tampa Bay Lightning and Lightning souvenir: Michel Ouellet; Red Deer Rebels: Blair Jones

Cards, shown below, are: Marc Denis, from left, Vinny Prospal, Paul Ranger and Kyle Wanvig

No comments: