Thursday, November 15, 2007

I've had better days

There have been times in the course of my hockey-hounding hobby when I've absolutely nailed a team. The most recent example came not too long ago, when I added 22 autographs to an Atlanta Thrashers team helmet in less than an hour.

Like anything else, though, there's always a flip side. Take yesterday morning, for example. Though I carried a full book of cards, as well as nearly a dozen pucks and the American-born goalies stick, I feel like I was slacking off by getting only 14 autographs out of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Granted, I'd have to plead guilty to some serious cherry-picking, focusing my efforts of Eric Staal and Cam Ward.

Still, though, I'd expected to snag at least one or two each from other Hurricanes, such as Rod Brind'Amour, Andrew Ladd and Justin Williams. Unfortunately, it didn't happen. Brind'Amour, who did sign at game time, hopped on a hotel van. Ladd, who is having a hard time living up to his advance press, pulled the old "My hands are full" trick. And Williams ignored multiple requests to sign.

I also found it odd that John Grahame, who got lit up for six goals against Tampa Bay last night, didn't come over to sign. Seeing his connection to Tampa, I was hoping to get him on the goalie stick.

That's not to say, though, that I went home empty-handed. Thankfully, Mike Commodore signed this puck, keeping alive my streak, dating to the 2004-05 American Hockey League season, of getting at least one autographed puck every time I've gone hounding.

Between the puck, as well as two nice autographs from Staal and Ward, it's getting easier to reconcile with what I believe to be a lackluster effort on my part.

Some days you win, some days you lose. Bottom line, though, is that the collection keeps growing in diversity and numbers. And, the Hurricanes come back another three times this season.

The cards, show above, are:
Top row: Jeff Hamilton, Frantisek Kaberle and Chad LaRose;
Bottom row: Trevor Letowski, Cory Stillman and Glen Wesley.

No comments: