Thursday, October 11, 2007

Here's a keeper

In all honesty, the biggest reason I hounded the Tampa Bay Lightning yesterday is because I'm a doting daddy.

Before last Saturday's game against Atlanta, Colin made his usual stop at the Arts Center's Art on Ice program, designing a new goalie mask for Tampa Bay's Johan Holmqvist. Because it turned out pretty good (thanks to help from Kathy, one of Colin's many aunties) and survived the game, I figured it would make for an excellent and unique addition to the collection.

I wasn't disappointed.

Though Colin's mask wouldn't offer adequate protection, the affable Holmqvist was more than willing to sign it. Now, if I could just get NHL goalies to stop misspelling Colin's name (I do spell it out for them), my world would be perfect.

Besides the mask, Tampa Bay's Vinny Prospal signed this puck, and Jan Hlavac and Filip Kuba signed some cards. Other than Vinny Lecavalier and Brad Richards, who disappointed a small "crowd" (all six of us), most every other Lightning player, except Marc Denis, stopped to sign.

Given that I'm running out of items, my next trip for the Bolts will likely come Dec. 13, when the Calgary Flames, the team the Lighting beat to win the 2004 Stanley Cup, visit Tampa. By then, I should have accrued enough cards, pucks, etc., to warrant another visit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome sig on the mask. I was hoping to see a scan of it. Very nice stuff. Unbelievable that 2 goalies in such a short time span would misspell his name. Still, a nice keepsake.

Brett

Puckhound said...

I'm beginning to think that goalies, while talented and brave, may not be the brightest bulbs in the bin.

I mean, who in their right mind purposely puts their body in front of vulcanized rubber discs that are often reaching 90 mph?

And, if Marty and/or Johan read this, please know that I'm kidding.We all know you're smart.