Friday, October 12, 2007

A puck for Johnny Boy

Usually, when a family member, friend or co-worker asks if I can get them an autograph, the request is made for players like Tampa Bay's Vinny Lecavalier, Brad Richards or Marty St. Louis.

Mostly, I tell these folks that my hounding efforts, as selfish as they are, are limited to our collection. Furthermore, these autographs are difficult to come by.

Every once in a while, though, a request comes along that's easily filled, such as this puck signed earlier this week by Tampa Bay coach John Tortorella.

A close friend and fellow hound, now living in New Hampshire, said he wanted a puck from the coach simply because Tortorella was a fellow native of Massachusetts.

Pretty cool, if you ask me.

As for the "Johnny Boy" inscription, well, that's an inside joke. It seems that during a conversation following a Boston Bruins practice a couple years ago, one in which my son Colin was present, I referred to my buddy as "Johnny Boy."

Colin instantly picked up on it, even adding a vocal emphasis that, to this day, elicits chuckles. Though Colin now calls him "Uncle Johnny," I couldn't resist the friendly dig and was wicked psyched when Tortorella was willing to play along.

Now, all I have to do is get it in the mail.

No comments: