Sunday, November 25, 2007

I wouldn't blame Brodeur

From what I’ve heard, through well-placed sources, it’s no surprise that New Jersey’s Martin Brodeur walked straight to the bus before last night’s 3-2 victory over Tampa Bay.

On his way to the Devils’ morning skate, a crush of more than 30 collectors quickly engulfed the future Hall of Famer. And after hearing a couple stories, the use of "engulfed," I'm afraid, may be too soft of a word.

Dramatic re-enactments by my sources of requests to Brodeur left mere inches between noses. Reportedly, he rolled his eyes and sighed heavily upon acceptance of his plight. He signed for some, but not everyone. Even those lucky enough to have him sign complained at the quantity or quality of their signatures.

Knowing the Tampa crowd, of which I do contribute (as passively as I can), I have no doubts that these recounts are true. And, after a morning like that, I certainly don’t blame him. Brodeur, one of the NHL’s more gracious superstars, has been too generous over the past to warrant even the slightest quibble.

No comments: