Sunday, November 18, 2007

Testing our patience

In what turned out to be a battle within the Empire State, fans of the Buffalo Sabres and New York Rangers tied in their beliefs that their teams have, indeed, had the most disappointing start to the 2007-08 season. Both received four votes out of the 15 cast.

For the Rangers fans, it's easy to understand. Given the team's star-studded lineup (The Rangers, I believe, are the NHL's version of their deep-pocketed MLB neighbors, the New York Yankees), the Blueshirts were expected to make some serious noise. The Rangers' slow start, suddenly becoming a distant memory as of late thanks to the play of Henrik Lundqvist, severely tested their fans' patience.

As for the Sabres, I guess I wasn't surprised. In fact, I shouldn't be. They were my vote, too. Though I knew the departures of Danny Briere and Chris Drury would be felt, I also believed, relying more on my heart than any intellect I may possess, that some of Buffalo's younger players would step up to fill the void. Sadly, I was wrong.

It's also easy to comprehend the discontent shown toward the Thrashers, who received three votes out of the 15. After winning the Southeast Division last season, the team and its fans came in with higher expectations. I'm sure the injury-related shelving of highly regarded, but tender-groined, goaltender Kari Lehtonen has played a major role in the team's sluggish start.

Here in Tampa, the Lightning are enjoying a five-game winning streak. Before that, they lost five in a row. To me, it sounds a lot like last season, when streaks, both winning and losing, were the norm. Bolts fans, too, will remember how that campaign ended. I know I do.

Either way, it's still early in the season. The teams have about 60 games, plus or minus, remaining in the season. Who will rebound? My guess is it'll be the Rangers. Who will suffer? I'm afraid it'll be the Sabres. As always, only time will tell.

Here are the results:

Question: Which club has been the most disappointing so far this season?

Atlanta Thrashers: 3 out of 15 votes cast (20 percent)
Buffalo Sabres: 4 out of 15 (26.7 percent)
Nashville Predators: 0 votes
New York Rangers: 4 out of 15 votes (26.7 percent)
Tampa Bay Lightning: 2 out of 15 (13.3 percent)
Other: 2 out of 15 (13.3 percent)

1 comment:

Drew said...

I was one of the two "other" voters. The Penguins get my write-in vote with an 8-10-2 record and a coach that has forgotten how to do his job.