Sunday, May 4, 2008

Sunday morning homily XXVIII

In the end, perhaps, it was unfair to compare Montreal's rookie netminder Carey Price to Canadiens legends Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy.

Sure, Price showed glimpses of greatness, leading many of us to think that hockey magic, once again, had been captured in a bottle. Early on, his play and poise started the whispers of his following in those famous footsteps. As the playoffs wore on, however, it became apparent that those comparisons were off-base.

More than anything else, I suppose, it was a weak glove hand that did in the young goalie. A noticeably horrendous effort in Game 3 against Philadelphia was easily exposed and exploited. I found it interesting, too, that Price used a newer catching glove, to no avail, in the series-ending loss last night.

Please know that I'm not piling onto Price at this point. Personally, I believe the kid is going to have a solid career in the NHL. I'm sure, too, that he'll take the Canadiens back to the playoffs many, many times. He is, in my humble estimation, that good.

The lesson I'll take away from his playoff run was the pressure of potential, especially when the spotlight shines on one of hockey's grandest stages. It's not just the comparison to two of hockey's greatest goalies, but to play for and in Montreal, where the game is religion, could easily test the most seasoned of goalies.

Let the kid learn from this experience. He'll have all summer to replay each and every shot that eluded him. It's all part of the learning process. Someday, maybe his name will be mentioned, positively, in the same sentence as Dryden and Roy.

Some things, Montreal fans need to believe, are worth waiting for.

I can hardly wait

Yes, I know I have months to wait before I can resume my hockey-hounding adventures. That didn't keep me, however, from getting ready for next year.

Even though I've yet to file away last year's bounty, I've already added to the stockpile for the 2008-09 season, snagging some AHL team pucks (Norfolk Admirals, Rochester Americans and Springfield Falcons) and prospects card sets.

Other than that, though, I'm going to try to work down my existing inventory. And, yes, get some stuff put away.

No comments: