Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sneak peeks

Given his immense popularity, it's no surprise that hockey retailers all want a piece of Pittsburgh's Sidney Crosby. Just look at McFarlane's Sports Picks. Come November, it'll release its second version of The Next One as part of its NHL Series 16.

I suspect, too, that demand will be high. While some Sports Picks sit on shelves for weeks on end, I made sure I picked up my Crosby Sports Pick rookie the moment I saw it. Two days later, they were gone and I haven't seen any more since then.

Another item hockey collectors, especially those in Canada, should keep an eye out for will be the 2007-08 O-Pee-Chee Hockey release, also expected out in November. Though I've yet to find much information about the 600-card set, one of my sources (and, as a veteran journalist, I can say that) gave me an Evgeni Malkin promotional card from it.

A closer look at the back of the card shows that it is, indeed, a 2007-08 release. That much is certain.

However, my source also told me that the cards, which used to be a Canada-only product, are expected to return to that format. Granted, I've yet to confirm this, but, if that's the case, it's another reason why Upper Deck needs more competition.

Last year's release, which featured monster team sets, remains one of my favorites. From a hound's standpoint, the set's ample array of third- and fourth-liners, as well as fourth and fifth defensemen, meant an extra 50 to 60 autographed cards.

This is one instance where I hope my source will be proven wrong. And, as a journalist, I hate to be wrong.

2 comments:

Chuck V said...

I wanted to go to the Caps hotel yesterday, but they decided to be mean to hounds and all stay under fake names, so I couldn’t figure out where their were despite calling about 20 hotels. I left my Caps stuff at home and went to MSG, and to my surprise, the first bus pulled up on the street, and a few players walked to the game.
There are six entrances to Madison Square Garden (7 if you count the helipad Bure used to use,) and Rangers players utilize all 6. Unfortunately, I have yet to master the art of being in 6 places at once, and the only Rangers who came in the entrance I was by were Straka, Prucha, Malik, Betts, Dubinsky, and Staal. I got a Straka card, a Malik card, 2 Prucha cards, and 4 Betts cards. I didn’t have anything for the other two guys.

Today, I went to the Senators hotel, and got 2 Joe Corvo cards, 2 Mike Fisher cards, 2 Shean Donovan cards, 2 Chris Phillips cards, 4 Martin Gerber cards, 3 Luke Richardson cards, 2 Chris Neil cards, an Andrej Meszaros card, a Jason Spezza card, a Patrick Eaves card, a Dany Heatley card, and 2 Antoine Vermette card. I must say that hockey players and hounds are much nicer than baseball players and hounds. One particular example of good behavior stuck out in my mind. Jason Spezza came out of the hotel and signed 1 item for everyone before going into a Starbuck across the street. He then came back and stood out front of the hotel talking with somebody, and not a single hound went up to ask him for another autograph.

PS-Was the Malkin card glossy?

Puckhound said...

Chuck:

It sounds like the Senators more than made up for any disappoint you may have had. That sounds like a great day of hounding. Lots of autos, including some pretty big names.

As for the Caps, that's a shame. Must be Ovechkin's fault.Next time, try asking for the head trainer or equipment manager.

Bottom line, though, you didn't go home empty-handed.

For Staal, you might also want to consider carrying some index cards. Even if you don't have a card or puck, at least you can have a player sign something.

That Malkin card is a bit of the hybrid. The picture itself is glossy, but the rest has a kind of a raised, metallic-feeling finish.