Friday, October 12, 2007

Apparently, I'm not alone

Well, well, well. I asked the question and you responded. Overwhelmingly, too.

Though hardly scientific and sorely lacking a wide sample, 65 percent of respondents to the latest Hound Central 3.0 poll believe that NHL players should, indeed, care about dealers selling their autographs.

To be honest, I couldn't be more pleased. Those within my circle of trusted friends know the high level of disdain I have for autograph dealers of any ilk. But to see such a majority, nearly double the dissenting opinions, that agrees with my point of view is remarkable.

Granted, I have no standing to question a person's choice of occupation. What I can take issue with, and it seems I may have some backing on this, is how these dealers, who inhabit every NHL city, have severely affected my hobby.

Far too many times, I've had to explain that I was a collector, not a dealer. And, even then, I've been met with skepticism. It's to the point that I'll probably spring for some business cards, just so I can offer players an opportunity to check out my family of blogs.

Sure, some people will say that the players are only being greedy. How dare mere mortals, such as dealers, profit from a player's hurried scribble on a card, puck, picture, jersey or stick? Yes, there's a twinge of truth to that. It's hard to believe that some players can be that petty.

But here, at Hound Central 3.0, I try to go beyond just mere rants. It's wicked easy to point out problems. Coming up with solutions, well, that's the tricky dribble here. Still, though, I have a suggestion, one that's based on a simple economic principle.

Given that scarcity of an item only increases its value, I suggest that NHL players, from a Hart Trophy candidate right on down to a team's seventh defenseman, sign as many items as they possibly can. By flooding the market with free autographs, demand will be satisfied, thus causing prices to plummet.

If you take away the profit margin, the dealers won't make as much money. And maybe, just maybe, they'll join the rest of us and get real jobs.

Is this unrealistic? Certainly. But we all can hope, can't we?

Here are the results:

Question: Should NHL players care that dealers sell their autographs?

Yes: 17 votes out of 26 cast (65 percent)
No: 9 out of 26 (34 percent)

No comments: