Monday, July 7, 2008

Busy, busy, busy

Every summer, NHL teams try to retool their lineups for the season ahead. In some cases, it's the addition of a key free agent or the promotion of a vaunted rookie. In others, there will be a modest amount of change, perhaps two to three new faces.

Down here in Humidity Bay, though, Lightning fans have witnessed a near-wholesale change in the lineup, given the team's uberactive wheelings and dealings. How busy have the Lightning been? On opening night, there could be as many as eight or nine new faces in the lineup and one mulleted mug behind the bench.

From a hounding standpoint, what I thought would be an easy season of hounding the Lightning, focusing on Vinny Lecavalier and Martin St. Louis, now presents a challenge worthy of my time and expertise:

Olaf Kolzig: Nearing the end of his NHL career, he tops my list of new Lightning faces. Though the Lightning represent only his second NHL team, there should be ample opportunities to have him sign some specialty (AHL, All Star Game and anniversary) pucks.

Steve Stamkos: Being the No. 1 overall draft pick puts a bull's eye on his autograph. Given the team's pre-draft publicity surrounding him, it should be relatively easy to snag quite a few more autographs from him. My wish lists includes Lightning pucks, magazines, a Team Canada jersey and that picture of he and Colin at the team's meet-and-greet.

Gary Roberts: Brought onto to the team to provide some grizzled leadership to Stamkos, I've had the pleasure of getting his autograph numerous times. Still, though, it won't keep me from having him sign a Lightning puck.

Mark Recchi: Here's another player brought aboard to provide leadership. Like most veteran players nearing the end of their runs, he's become much more willing to sign. That's good, because I'll have four to five pucks for him to sign throughout the season.

Ryan Malone: Another addition designed to add some grit to the Lightning's soft lineup. I'll focus on cards more than multiple pucks. Having hounded him in the minors, all I really need from Malone is a signed Lightning puck.

Radim Vrbata: My most recent puck order contains three pucks for him: Lightning, Blackhawks and Avalanche. I might as well get him while I can, right?

Matt Carle: Of all the new faces, I predict that he'll make one of the biggest differences in the lineup. Coming off of a sophomore slump, the former Hobey Baker Award winner should show why he's certainly worthy of pucks.

Adam Hall: Playing for his fifth team (Nashville, Rangers, Minnesota, Pittsburgh and Tampa Bay) in four seasons, he represents the proverbial handful for puckhounds such as myself. Given his ever-decreasing point total, though, I'll likely limit him to two pucks -- Nashville and Tampa Bay.

Brandon Bochenski: Yeah, he's bounced around a bit lately, becoming the NHL's poster boy for adventure-seeking job-hoppers. That doesn't mean I'll load up on pucks, though. Maybe a Lightning puck, but that's about it.

Andrew Hutchinson: Not exactly a household name, but he did win a Stanley Cup with the Carolina Hurricanes. That alone, I believe, is worthy of at least a couple pucks to go with the Nashville Predators and Milwaukee Admirals pucks in the collection.

Barry Melrose: Though I'll resist the temptation to have him sign a mullet wig, I'd like to find an ESPN NHL 2nite promotional puck for him to sign. Until then, I'll use the L.A. Kings, Maple Leafs and Winnipeg Jets pucks I've ordered.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have several NHL2Night ESPN pucks in my collection. I will make sure you end up with one

Moody

Anonymous said...

your list is in need of update with Recchi now loining the squad

Anonymous said...

You can add Mark Recchi to that list now too.

Talk about re-tooling.....but they still have the core.

They should be a fun team to watch this year.

Brett

Puckhound said...

Thanks, folks, for the updates. I've added Andrew Huthcinson as well.